Monday, March 21, 2016

Don't Judge Crazy by the Size of a Sign (No. 2 Train, Manhattan)


I saw this guy going up the stairs on the uptown side of the subway platform. "I bet that crazy guy is coming to this side to catch those of us going downtown," I told my son. And sure enough, the guy jumped on our train just before the doors closed. Normally, I'd try not to catch the eye of someone lugging around a huge sign with tiny print but his subtitle--"TAKE A CELL PHONE PICTURE OF THIS SIGN AND YOU MAKE IT GO VIRAL"--was so endearing in both its innocence (as if merely snapping a photo could make something go viral) and its desire to make a difference that I felt compelled to obey its first command.

As for what the sign says, I thought Michael Bloomberg was a fantastic mayor who appointed great people and implemented many wonderful programs, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that somehow--most likely indirectly and without nefarious intentions--his stewardship of the city and the changes he instigated here did increase the value of his holdings. More importantly, it's indisputable that if anyone wants to stop "wannabe dictators from buying our demoncracy" it's Bernie Sanders.

So maybe this dude isn't as crazy as I first thought. Although I don't want to catch his eye.

1 comment:

  1. That's Kirk. He has been displaying large signs in NYC for about 16 years. Here's his website from 11-13 years ago: http://www.oocities.org/helpkirk/

    ReplyDelete