Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Capital Improvement, Upper West Side, Manhattan

They milled our street in the middle of the night. I don't know the names for most of the equipment, but let's just call them tractors, grinders and crushers. And, of course, there was a huge dump truck to capture the debris. In any event, it was a noisy and long operation. Did I mention it was the middle of the night? And that our bedroom overlooks the street? We closed windows and turned on the air conditioning to keep out the dust and mask (not very successfully) the sounds. OK, I know I sound grumpy but I was actually more surprised than annoyed that such loud work is scheduled for the middle of the night in the a crowded New York neighborhood. And it was a chance to appreciate the fact that taxes serve an important purpose, i.e., they pay for important public investments like roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment